Thursday, April 1, 2010

No Surprise - Gas Prices Back On The Rise


The lovely weather in most parts of the country this weekend is a harbinger of spring, and many of us look forward to road trips in the coming months. As usual, that’s the same time of year that big oil chooses to stick it to us. These gas prices will be lower than they were in 2008, but will still be higher than in 2009. Drivers in some states are even paying much more than others, with prices rising to as high as 4-6% of their annual incomes.

We’re all in this together, so we asked readers for helpful ideas to save at the pump:

“Don’t buy premium gas unless the salesman, with the worst comb-over you’ve ever seen, insists your car calls for it.  Also, as a mechanic, I can tell you that a no name generic gas can be as good a value as brand name gas.  It can have the highest value if you give no name to the clerk in the booth, and pull away with the pump still attached.  You can then use the nozzle later in an installation art piece and sell it for an insane amount of money in a gallery downtown.”

“Form a support group, and launch a website to list current gasoline prices by neighborhood.  Calculate the number of miles driven out of one’s way by the savings in dollars or merely cents, multiply by dog years to see if its worth even leaving the house. Many feeling pinched at the pump have turned to the Internet for extra savings.  Priceline.com lets you name your price for gas, but by the time they add on the surcharges for Kirk and Spock to transport it down from the Enterprise, it could be cost prohibitive.”

“I suppose I won’t be able to afford to pop for my antidepressant pills anymore, I’ll come off them with a totally wicked withdrawal they’re not supposed to cause, and then I’ll fail to notice I was much happier before I ever started on them.  Especially, since I still had sex back then.”

“I think I’ll have little Madison hitchhike the 1/8 of a mile to the end of the private drive to catch the bus, instead bothering to fire up the Land Cruiser.  Oh, and as our health plan covers therapy,  I'll also consider canceling all of her play dates and perhaps even think about home-schooling."



“As gas creeps well past $3 a gallon, I’ll guess probably defer my student loan payments, and unwittingly, make it even more difficult for others to get student loans at all in the future. I’m pretty sure I'll still be willing to pay upwards of $54 per gallon for Acai Berry twist vodka though.”

0 comments so far :

Post a Comment

opinions powered by SendLove.to