Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Way Cool Internet May End Today

Washington, DC – The darkest day of the year today may not make the Internet go dark, but it could end up having a less than bright future if the FCC has its way as the commission is scheduled to vote on “net neutrality.”

The new rules would supposedly keep broadband behemoth providers from controlling and/or abusing access to the on-ramp of the Information Superhighway, but many critics claim the FCC rules contain too many loopholes.  Providers would let subscribers access all legal on line contents, services, and applications, but they could also route traffic any way they want to manage data and avoid congestion - as long as they publicly state that is their policy. 

We asked our readers what they thought about the FCC’s plans for so-called “net neutrality?”


“I guess this means if the huge internet service providers can create a ‘fast lane’ and a ‘slow lane’ just because they can by stating their intent, as I’m just some unemployed guy in my pajamas trying to make money off of my Google ads on my thoughtfully written blog, I better change the name of it to ‘Megan Fox in a Bikini.’  I may have a slow download for my readers, but at least I’ll have the vast majority of Internet readers.”

"I don’t even want to think about what this Internet thing is going to do to our kitty monopoly on cute!  I bet the CEOs of Verizon, Comcast and A&T are all dog owners!!!"
 


“What was it Howard Stern used to always say?  Oh yeah, F*!K the FCC!”




“Obama is doing it again! Just caving under the guise of bi-partisanship and not standing up to keep the Internet totally free.  Of course the Republicans think it’s a good idea to protect the interests of AT&T – they’re one of their biggest donors.  I guess that means that Internet providers will load Fox News faster than any other site so our on-line content becomes severely limited.  At least if you want to read it before it’s no longer news.  If I’m going to be stuck with Fox,  I better start killing more brain cells.  I’m mentally half way to the liquor store as we are discussing this.”


“I suppose this means if I’m going to be relying on the Internet for on line campaign donations for my 2044 Presidential bid, I better get my web page up now?”




“Maybe it might be time to get out of the fake boner drug business already?”

2 comments so far :

Snuggy Bear said...

It's a thin layer of apparent change on top of a whole lot of more of the same BS. Obama is not a good president. I don't believe him any more

Mad as Hell said...

As usual, they name a law to sound fuzzy and harmless so we won't realize how bad it is. Goal #1 of this bill is to allow Comcast to start charging for use. This means everybody's favorite little site that gets all sorts of hits will soon be out of business because they have no money to pay for their traffic. Provision #2: legalizing the clubbing of seals.

Post a Comment

opinions powered by SendLove.to